In Salary.com’s overview of their hot jobs for 2014, Accounting roles (including Auditors) ranked number 6 of 8, with an expected growth rate of 17%.. So it’s no surprise that there are several hundred blogs online covering accounting, taxes and topics in-between. As a handy resource, here are 50 of the best such blogs.
Recommended Online Accounting Degree Programs
Methodology for selection:
- Primarily American market-related blogs.
- Is actually a blog, not a Web site masquerading as a blog.
- Is an accounting or accounting-related blog.
- Recency: must have had a post in the past six months, at time of writing.
- A combination of personal selection and scientific ranking.
- No popup ads and does not require being a member of some organization to read.
- Target readers are either accountants or those who can benefit from relevant advice.
General Accounting, Financial Reporting, Tax-related
- AccountingWEB Blogs: A collection of nearly two dozen blogs covering accounting-related topics.
- Bloomberg BNA Accounting Blog: In-depth coverage of accounting , auditing and tax topics.
- Kaufman Rossin Blog: Covers IRS-related tax issues and other topics.
- QuickBooks and Beyond – The Sleeter Group: Reviews small business accounting software and solutions.
- Accounting Tomorrow: News and articles about the accounting profession.
- The CPA Desk: Not one but several CPA-related blogs for topics including taxes, entrepreneurship and global business strategies.
- Blog | Cherry Bekaert | CPAs and Advisors: News about the accounting industry, with an emphasis on financial reporting and standards.
- Accounting Onion: Tips and advice from an SEC expert on financial reporting.
- It’s Taxing: Covers taxes, estates, finance and general accounting topics of interest to business owners.
- Schneider Downs Insights: Thoughts on accounting, taxes and related topics.
- Intuit Accountants News Central: News and tips about the industry for CPAs, including software overviews.
- Blog << DeepSky | Entrepreneur’s Accounting Department: Tips on small business accounting, software and procedures.
- Solutions for CPA Firm Leaders: Advice, tips and ideas for business leaders of CPA firms.
- Blunt Bean Counter: A Canadian tax blog of interest to either Americans running a business in Canada or Canadians who may have U.S. tax issues.
- AccountingCoach: More than 1,000 accounting questions have been answered on AccountingCoach’s blog.
Profit and Non-Profit Businesses
- The Belfint Nonprofit Ledger: Topics on taxes and reporting for non-profit organizations.
- Reed Tinsley’s Blog: Tips and advice from a CPA for the healthcare industry, with emphasis on physician practices.
- Dental CPAs Blog: Tips and advice from a team of CPAs for the dental practitioners.
- Homeschool CPA: A CPA and former homeschooling mom gives tips and advice to nonprofit homeschool organizations.
- Farm CPA Today: Accounting, businesss and related advice for farmers.
- Ministry CPA: Accounting and business advice for ministers and others running Christian ministries.
- The Ministry Blog: A multi-author blog on accounting, reporting and business advice for churches and ministries.
Forensic Accounting, Fraud Finding
- The Fraud Files: Coverage of fraud-related topics by a forensic accountant, fraud investigator and author Tracy Coenen.
- White Collar Fraud: A fraud perspective — including accounting irregularities — from a former CPA and convicted felon.
- It’s Taxing – Bond Beebe: Tips and advice on forensic accounting procedures for small businesses, including the use of social media and issues around electronic data collection.
Professor/ Student/ Teaching/ Studying
- Fraudbytes: A blog on fraud and corporate governance by Aaron Zimbelman (PhD student, accounting) and Mark Zimbelman (accounting professor).
- 21st Century Taxation: A tax reform blog by a professor who teaches about tax accounting, tax policy and related topics.
- Joe Hoyle – Teaching Financial Accounting: Covers the teaching and learning aspects of accounting topics, by veteran financial accounting professor Joe Hoyle.
- MAAW’s Blog: Tidbits about accounting, management and related topics by a professor emeritus.
- NJSCPA Exam Cram Blog: Tips on preparing for the CPA exam by multiple bloggers from the NJSCPA (New Jersey Society of Certified Public Accountants).
Accounting Association Blogs
- Betsy’s Pretty Good Blog: A blog for accountants by the president of the MNCPA (Minnesota Society of Certified Public Accountants).
- AICPA Insights: A blog for accountants from the AICPA (American Institute of CPAs).
- CPA Success: Career success tips and advice for CPAs, from the MACPA (Maryland Association of CPAs).
- CPA Now: Tips and advice for CPAs from the PICPA (Pennsylvania Institute of Certified Public Accountants).
- ASCPA Blog: Tips and advice for CPAs from the ASCPA (Arizona Society of Certified Public Accountants).
- I Was Just Thinkin’: Tips and advice for CPAs from the INCPAS (Indiana CPA Society).
- TSCPA Federal Tax Policy Blog: A blog from the TSCPA (Texas Society of CPAs), with a focus on tax legislation and regulation.
- The Sharblog: Another TSCPA-related blog, from the CEO, with thoughts on accounting, the IRS and other topics.
- National Society of Accountants: NSA Blog: Perspectives on accounting, tax prep, IRS and more, from the other NSA (National Society of Accountants).
- NYSSCPA Blog: Views on accounting and related topics from the NYSSCPA (New York State Society of Certified Public Accountants.
- CPA Cafe | Where Ideas Brew: Writings on accounting, taxes, IRS and other topics from the VSCPA (Virginia Society of Certified Public Accountants).
- Going Concern: A broad accounting-related blog who is Managing Editor is the writer of the Jr. Deputy Accountant blog. Also covers student topics and the CPA exame.
- Jr. Deputy Accountant: An accounting blog interpreting what the Fed says, written by a Washington, D.C., resident whose disclaimer says “I’m not a junior nor a deputy nor an accountant”. Warning: NSFW language.
- re: The Auditors: A broad accounting blog with an emphasis on the Big 4 accounting firms, written by writer/ speaker / consultant Francine McKenna.
- re: Balance: A blog with indepth articles on the state of large accounting firms.
- CPA Technology Blog: Covers the technology side of the accounting profession.
- Accounting And Finance Blog | Accounting Principals: A broad look at accounting careers, including how to use social media, monthly job reports, and more.
- Accountant Jokes and Fun: Who says accountants are not fun? Here’s a whole blog full of accounting and tax jokes.
- Success Starts Here: A blog about the careers side of public accounting.
- iPad CPA: Not frequently updated but has a focus on iPad apps for the accounting profession.
- Accountant By Day: Musings on accounting, personal finance and every day life by an auditor and tax accountant who formerly blogged as Accounting Elf while still an accounting student.
Recommended Online Accounting Degree Programs