An accounting degree can prepare students for a rewarding career in accounting, finance, or other business related field and it is one of the most popular business-related majors in the country due to the increased demand of these types of careers. As with many other majors, the costs of an accounting degree are high, but luckily there are a variety of scholarships specifically for accounting majors. Scholarships are typically offered at the state and national levels. State awards are generally offered by state agencies and colleges to offer scholarships to students in specific states. National scholarships are typically offered by organizations striving to increase the amount of accountants. A lot of organizations also offer awards to women and minorities.
Finding Accounting Scholarships
Rigorous research is often needed to locate a variety of accounting scholarships, as many are based on both academic merit and financial need. Students should first file the FAFSA to determine the estimated family contribution. Then making a list of attributes including factors that make an individual unique can be helpful in finding specialized accounting scholarships. Applications for accounting scholarships are located in a variety of areas including college financial departments and online. It is important to apply for scholarships early as some may require a preliminary examination, essays, or projects. A helpful tip is reviewing all applicable scholarships and noting their requirements and deadlines. Applicants must thoroughly read the requirements to make sure they are qualified. Students should also apply for as many scholarships as possible to increase their financial assistance.
Examples of Accounting Scholarships at the State Level
- - Illinois CPA Society Accounting Scholarship Program offers $4,000 awards to students majoring in accounting who plan to take the CPA Examination in Illinois.
- - The New Hampshire Society of Certified Public Accountants offers rewards to full-time upper-level undergraduate or graduate students who are residents of New Hampshire.
- - The Michigan Accountancy Foundation offers awards on a yearly basis to 5th year accounting students.
Examples of Accounting Scholarships at the National Level
- - The National Society of Accountants offers about 40 scholarships per year to a variety of accounting students around the U.S. The scholarship awards range from $250 to $2,000.
- - The Institute of Management Accountants offers awards to both undergraduate and graduate students averaging around $3,000.
- - The National Association of Public Accountants offer awards to accounting students enrolled in an accredited business school with a cumulative GPA of a B or better.
- - The John L. Carey Scholarships are annual scholarships of $5,000 offered to graduate students enrolled at an institute accredited by the Association to Advance Collegiate Schools of Business.
- - Government Finance Officers Association Scholarships are offered to both accounting and finance students and some awards may be as much as $10,000.
Examples of Accounting Scholarships for Minority Students
- - The American Society of Women Accountants offers scholarships to female students who have completed at least 30 semester hours.
- - The National Association of Black Accountants offers yearly awards to active members pursuing degree programs in accounting, finance, or business. Scholarships range from $1,000 to $6,000.
- - The Association of Latino Professionals in Finance and Accounting offers awards to Hispanic or Latino students. Reward amounts vary from about $1,250 to $10,000.